2.23.2007

Sweet Blessings...

So Many Treats!
February 2007

For the better part of two years, my friends and family have been trying to convince me to take this hobby of mine to the next level and start a business of sorts. My photography is quite personal to me. When I take an image, I feel as though a piece of me is in it. For some reason, I have an immense fear of someone thinking my work isn't worth what I may think. I know that this feeling doesn't come from God. So I have prayed that it will leave me. Starting this blog has really helped with these insecure feelings. Mainly because of all of you...your support, advice and encouraging words...thank you all!

Now for the story...

The Doll's House on the Hill is a cafe that I have written about before on my blog. It has such a warm and inviting atmosphere that it keeps me going back week after week. In February, I ordered their Luxurious Hot Chocolate Abyss. It was so pretty that I snapped a picture (check the post from February 1st). Before I left I told them I would be posting it on my blog and to check it out. A week later when I went back, the owners said they loved the blog and asked about paying for some of the shots to use in their marketing with the possiblity of taking more for them. I was so excited....NERVOUS and excited.

Today I met with Katina and Jo to show them all the photos. It was so fun to sit and talk with them. Three girls chatting and cutting up. It was a blessing for me to spend time there and get to know them better. They were supportive of my talents and shared how they had always wanted to run a restaurant but had been in the workplace for years. I found it amazing that these self-assured women probably had felt (or are still feeling) some of the same things that I have felt lately. Despite that, they had a passion and they stepped out and pursued what they wanted. It was a great afternoon with two new friends.

As we met, they found several images they liked and we are going to be talking more next week. More than that though, I am so grateful for that chance to sit and share my gifts with them. I felt as though God gave me a very safe place to have my first "business" outing. Isn't that wonderful that He did that for me? That He is that personal that He puts His hand in my everyday life....every hour, minute and second. He will do that in your life as well....

31 comments:

cjc said...

Ah ha... no wonder I felt compelled to ask about that picture... God is amazing...

Good luck with this venture... I will be praying for you on this new chapter for all of you...

cjc

bluemountainmama said...

that is so great, anna! and, yes, what a perfect place to start. God is amazing and He cares about the desires of our hearts... after all,he IS the one that gives us our talents and giftings. :) i LOVE this shot...every child's
dream is what i think of when i look at it....

US5JONESES said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said...

You are very lucky!

Congrats, I hope you take this as far as you want to.

I hope one day I can do something productive with my photography outside of a hobby.

The best occupations are those that double as a hobby.

Nicole said...

Yummy!! I could totally frame that and put it in my girl's room. It is so bright!

Anonymous said...

Anna, the first step is always the hardest. Just remember you don't take it alone. Congratulations on taking that first step.

Great shot. It is so colorful.

Melody said...

Well done!! *Melody pats Anna on the back* That's terrific news... Your photographs are wonderful and this may just be the beginning of big things for you! Well done again.

kenju said...

Anna, the gift of it came from HIm in the beginning, so why wouldn't He show you the best way to use the gift?

This is wonderful and I think it is the start of something big for you! I said you really had a good eye, and I meant it. Good luck, and don't undervalue yourself. Remember where the talent came from. If you don't value your talents - no one else will either.

Kaycee said...

Anna, I have really been enjoying my visits to your blog. Your photography is fantastic! I am so happy to hear that you have been giving this opportunity to use that talents that God gave to you. What a blessing! I look foward to seeing your new images, too!

Lady of the house said...

That is just great news! Way to go! That pic of the lollipops just too cool. In regards to your question, I grew up in western Ky -- on a small farm in Hopkins Country. About 30 miles from Hopkinsville, 20 miles from Madisonville, an hour south of Evansville, Indiana, 2 hours north of Nashville, TN. Any idea?? The little community is called Dalton -- population 65.

Where in KY are you from?

Rebecca said...

LOVE the photo! And love the story!! Anna, that's so wonderful!!! He truly does give us the desires of our hearts - and most of the time we didn't even realize they were such deep desires or we weren't/aren't even able to dream up what our Father comes up with! :) Love it.

So basically, by the time I get there this summer your work will be everywhere in the cafe! ;) Can't wait!!

Paula said...

How wonderful for you! I have really enjoyed your photos and am so happy to hear you are taking it the next level. You are a wonderful photographer - using the talent He has given you. Thanks for giving Him the glory!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Anna this is wonderful news. I wish everyone would persue their talents like you have. You deserve to be recognised and rewarded for your talents. Let us face it how many of us would look at a magazine or advertisement that has no pictures in it???

Looking forward to the updates on this project. Well done, the first step is always the hardest and it is wonderful that you have made two new friends who actually value what you are doing.

Beautiful picture of the candy canes.

Wooo hoooo

Lori

John said...

sweeeeeeeeeet

carmilevy said...

Your work is remarkable, Anna. I'm not at all surprised that it's finding a market in the business world.

Ash said...

Lovely colors!

Unknown said...

Such wonderful, exciting things are happening in your life!! It sounds like the perfect place for you to start :)

I love this photo. The colors of the cup and the lollypops are perfect.

kenju said...

Anna, you must read this:

http://docisinblog.com/

The post titled deep waters

awareness said...

ANNA!

that's absolutely marvellous! You have an amazingly special talent..... I love this photo.....well I love all of your photos......and always look forward to visiting your site.

like your photography, i feel the same about my writing....hesitant at first to share because it comes from a special place that is linked to God somehow...... the "cyber community" felt through blogging is such a powerfully acknowledging medium. It's a great place to step outside of one's security to test the waters so to speak......

I'm so glad you have tested the waters on all of us........we are the ones who are blessed by your beautiful talents!

take care.........! Can't wait to hear more of your pursuits.

photowannabe said...

Just as everyone else has said, I'm thrilled for you and know this venture will go far. When I read your first paragraph I thought I had written it. It said everything that I have felt about sharing my pictures. Finding the blog was such a wonderful encouraging thing for me and now reading your thoughts has spured me on to persue my card making. That is after we move and things settle down to a dull roar.

Mike Holley said...

Congratulations Anna and well deserved. I've thought a number of your pictures would make good stock photos.

Every journey starts with one step...

CG said...

Very well done Anna, and all the best in your new venture!!

That cafe sounds a great place and I'd love to try their hot chocolate..after Lent of course!

Anonymous said...

I come to look at the pictures. I love this one! But the story is wonderful too. I see myself in it. I needed my blog to build confidence and to get myself writing everyday. After a while I realized that some posts could have other applications and so I approached our local newspaper and now they buy stories. I still blush about it!

Elaine said...

What a great beginning! The first step is the hardest. You got to make new friends and share your photos--a good combination! I like your shot for today; the lines and the repitition of colors.

Anonymous said...

That IS awesome!!! You do have a gift, I truly believe that! Go with it girl! =) Love the candy canes by the way...so pretty!

srp said...

How exciting and what an opportunity! God gave you the talent and now a way to use it. Not to mention bringing you to a place where you feel comfortable to use it. He is amazing.

I love the colors of this one, so bright and cheery!

Beverly said...

That's wonderful, Anna. God is good.

Anonymous said...

That is exciting news Anna! Congratulations :-)

Please keep us posted as you go on this.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Nice colors.

Matt said...

VERY exciting. Way to go!