9.24.2006

English Garden


Today I went with some girlfriends for tea and scones at the Grim's Dyke Hotel. Set on 49 acres, it was built in 1870 as a family home and then later in 1970 was converted into a hotel. They have high tea accompanied by the in house opera company that performs Gilbert and Sullivan songs and operaettas. Sir William Gilbert once lived in the home with his wife and wrote many of his works here in the library while his wife was an avid rose gardener. As I sipped on my tea overlooking the beautiful gardens, I felt as though I was in a Jane Austen novel. The hydrangea blooms were beautiful and I had to get a picture for you all to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy gardening (although I'm not all that knowledgeable about it), so I especially like this picture. My mother-in-law has been known to surreptitiously take hydrangea blooms from other people's plants and root them in soil. I'm the happy recipient of one of them, and I love the colors (or is it colours?) of the blooms - one of my favorite plants!

Roger

kenju said...

Hydrangeas are one of my favorites, Anna. Those are spectacular in coloration! How nice to go to high tea; maybe you'll take your mom there in October.