7.20.2007

After the Rain

There's the blue!
July 2007

My iTunes: Only You by Joshua Radin

It doesn't happen often that you have a thunderstorm in London. The rain here is at a constant drizzle year round...so when I got up this morning to buckets...I mean large, bottomless buckets of rain, I just watched. I hadn't seen a thunderstorm like this one since I was in America. There was about 3 hours of torrential rain that dumped over 2 FEET of water in West London (we are in Northwest London). Tube stations were closed, flights cancelled, and streets shut down. But in typical London fashion, ten seconds after the rain had stopped drenching the streets and people, the skies were the prettiest I had yet to see here. Each blue sky here pales in comparison to the next one a day later. When you think it can't get more blue, it does. This is just the way it is here. The weather is one of my favorite parts about Britain. The high today in London was 64 degrees and as I write this it's 55 degrees. Sorry, call me crazy but I love it!

Anyhow...I wanted to capture the sky for you.

16 comments:

kenju said...

I think the blueness of the sky there is to compensate you for all the grey days of rain. It really is the most intense blue!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

haha as they say "how dull life would be without random weather. We'll have nothing else to talk about" .....the blues and grey do not coexist so beautifully in other parts of the world.....enjoy the unique weather :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blue! Bet it was good to see after all that rain.

Love your shot from yesterday too. Not quite sure how I missed that one.

Mark said...

Blue sky looks good on your blog -- because it's so rare!

Glad you're seeing some.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

ah the great british weather....nothing like it - hmmm, skies - maybe the thin veil between the temporal and eternal, maybe that's why they draw us.....

Unknown said...

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see

...

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on

Safe travels my friend.

Ash said...

Cool blue!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Anna,
We've been getting our daily showers pretty regulary lately. Which usually means sun before and after the rain. There is usually some good thunder and lightning involved since I live in the lightning capital of the world!

Kaycee said...

I hope that the rain has stopped now. That is a lot of rain to have in a short period of time. I love the sky photo!

photowannabe said...

Thank you for the blue sky. I like your story of the deluge.
Does all the rain in London mean you are "pruney" most of the time? LOL

Rebecca said...

I love the weather there too! And in Ireland! Ok, well, January/February/March can be brutal, but otherwise... :)

Anonymous said...

Anna I am pleased to know you enjoy your new home so much. Nice pic.

Elaine said...

Very blue! I wish it was that cool here!

JAM said...

A simple break in the clouds like that can't help but lift your spirits can it?

Here in FL, over time the skies get hazy so I welcome a rainy front moving through. It usually leaves the sky incredibly blue and crystal clear for as far as you can see.

Paula said...

Thank you for your encouraging description of the weather. Moving to Seattle's constant rain has been quite an adjustment for me. Growing up in KS afforded the luxury of thunderstorms which I really miss! I enjoy reading your perspective on things, but especially the weather. Thanks,
Paula

MammaMayMiller said...

Anna - I just love the promise of this blue sky picture, it fills me with hope and anticipation of sunny days to come...as I'm sure there undoubtedly will be a few ahead. In the meantime, this horrid British summer is getting me down and the kids are going stir crazy; I wish I could share your perspective on the weather in this country and say I love it, alas I am too British to do so!! Us Brits do like to whine about the weather so. It's my prayer that I can stay focused on the beauty of that blue sky in your picture, and look up instead of down.