7.12.2007

Random Shots

Drying the Clothes
July 2007

My iTunes: Rain King by Counting Crows

The idea that I had when posting images of Venice was I was going to do sets. But some of these unforgetable images for me don't belong in a set. Here are a few. Tim, this top shot is for you. You and I were entranced by the same exact thing on our trips to Venice even though they were 12 years apart. The one thing above all I saw there that I will always remember is the laundry hanging on all the buildings to dry. Not one building was safe from the lines stretching from window to window. It was so quaint and definitely not something I would see anytime soon back in London or America which made it all the more interesting to me. I found it funny that if I were to hang my laundry for a week I would need the whole entire side of the building! :)

I was also surprised at how early most businesses closed while we were there. It is so true that in Europe they know how to live....a time for work and a time for play. You can bet in the US that if there is an hour to make money the stores are open. As we roamed around in the evenings, the way was lit by pretty wrought iron lamps at every corner. Venice by night is breathtaking another sight I won't soon forget.

My last image is the flag of Italy. I just liked this shot. I have always liked flags. Unfortunately, this day wasn't windy so I waited and waited for any movement...this was the best I could get. As I am looking at my images I am realizing in each one I am looking up (AGAIN)....I am so glad I did!

Lighting the Way
July 2007

Italia
July 2007

22 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Haha...u sure are looking up!!! loved the lamp......will we get to see Venice at night???

Anna said...

Yes, you will! :)

awareness said...

Anna......am loving all the Venice photos you have posted. the colours are so vivid....and your "eye" for catching such wonderful perspectives is an amazing gift.

beautiful.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

"Lighting the Way" has a warm feel.

فهیم said...

2nd one is perfect...
go ahead...

Elaine said...

I like all of these (een the wind-less flag), but the clothes hanging is my favorite. Really has an old world feel to it.

Unknown said...

Ahhh I like Counting Crows and especially the Rain King.

I really love this hanging laundry shot. I didn't realize how interesting clothes lines were until your previous series. I'm like you, I would need a lot more line than this :)

John Roberts said...

Yes, the theme here seems to be: Looking Up! It's the details that make this city fun.

Anonymous said...

Looking up to you. Thanks for looking up. I like all of them but the clothes one is my favorite.

I like your comment on the businesses closing. Can't imagine that in the US.

CG said...

Gorgeous pics, Anna. I loved the washing too...quite "intimate" articles of clothing out there in the street too. Am loving your pics!

Ash said...

Loved the lamp shot...gorgeous!

talj said...

These images are wonderful. So you! The flag shot is brilliant, I love the colour and movement in it :o)

Have a nice weekend :o)

Paula said...

The clothesline is wonderful. The effect you chose suits it perfectly.
Paula

gaz said...

loving this blog...
great images...
as the man says - "i'll be back."

JAM said...

I really like all of these, but looking at the building behind the drying wash, I'm struck by how old and how much life has passed through them.

I like the softness of the lamp photo too.

bluemountainmama said...

i think these are my favorite in the series so far. you are so talented, anna! you are able to capture the small things that make a place so interesting.......

there are still plenty of clothes to be seen hanging out in my neck of the woods.... undies and all! :)

Autumn said...

I like the second one. But the clothesline is good too. I have always wondered what it owuld be like to have a clothesline like that.

nwhitesell said...

i am soooo jealous that you were in italy. i've never been and am DYING to go.

i hope you enjoyed. i'm sure it was needed!!!

nwhitesell said...

oh...and as always...stunning photos.

Joel Reynolds said...

That top shot is a great one, Anna.
Very nice.

Joel

Unknown said...

awesome photos Anna C! You're the most awesomest EVER!

Holly said...

It's amazing how a simple act of laundry can become such a stunning photograph through the right pair of eyes.